Dress Codes

Dress coding is a reality for many students all throughout their high school years, its important to know and hear Students voices on the topic.

Dress Codes

The bad reputation of dress codes is a universal and common issue among students. It is mainly the female student body that is affected by the restrictions of dress codes. Many female students have had their educational environment turned into a negative space because of the lack of choice they have in their clothing. A recent article in the New York Times highlighted a 2020 study that found “most dress codes analyzed targeted female clothing choices far more than male ones”. ( Linda Ditch- Kansas Reflector) There have been countless times that students have protested dress codes and gotten nowhere but  landed themselves in trouble for speaking out against the restrictions. 

A now attending student of West Albany was interviewed on a past protest that had taken place at their middle school, the protest was a group of female and male students wearing clothing that intentionally was against the dresscode to see if the male students would be treated the same as the females. “I was not sexualized for my clothing choice that day unlike my fellow female students.” ( Merrik P- West Albany student) it isn’t uncommon for female students to be targeted more than the males in school when it comes to the clothing they wear. The protest at the time had not done much to the rules and regulations of their dress code, but the following year their protest had enough of an influence that “ the dress code was modified the next year because of the mark our actions made the year before”( Merrik P- West Albany student) 

Dress Codes are meant to make sure students are dressing appropriately, not to sexualize and discriminate, both things that should not take place in a safe learning environment. “I’ve had friends tell me they feel very sexualized and uncomfortable when being dress coded,” said student protestor at Douglas Anderson School of Arts . 

School dress codes can vary but it’s all the same basic information: Undergarments are covered and not seen. Shoulders, midriff, upper thigh, stomach are all covered. Vulgar wording and gang related clothing is not allowed. 

Many of the dress code rules are aimed at female students. The punishment for breaking the dress code interferes with their education. “Consequences for dress code violations include, warning, silent lunch, after school detention, parent contact, ISS and or being sent home.” Hart county Student handbook

West Albany’s dress code is less restrictive than many other schools, and has allowed students to have more freedom and comfort in their clothing choices. Dress codes have such a negative reputation and we have to deal with them because they exist everywhere. If schools simply stopped enforcing it so aggressively and did not restrict as many clothing options for students the long running issue would almost be solved.  

Students shouldn’t have to feel like their clothing choices and individuality are  being controlled or they are being targeted. West Albany isn’t like that,the dress code at West Albany is within reason, all areas covered by undergarments shouldnt be seen, and clothing that is offensive or promoting something not school appropriate isn’t allowed.

At West Albany the dress code isn’t heavily enforced, which is why it’s not such an issue. I think all schools should adapt to West Albany’s dress code considering it is unproblematic and has yet to cause issues for the student body. West Albany’s dress code is relevant and necessary and has left more room for students to feel comfortable with their clothing choices and actually feel like it was their choice, not them following a guideline given by their school.