Barker Changes the Wrestling Image

What coach Bryan Barker thinks we can all learn from Judy Hops

Students are lucky to come across a few inspiring teachers or coaches who make a profound impact on their life. These teachers are not just educators, but they are mentors, motivators, and role models who shape personalities and help students reach their potential. Barker wants to be that person for kids. He wants to inspire, provide help, and have a positive impact on everyone he meets.

“I hate summer time because I’m not able to be in the building with students and help them with things they may be struggling with,” Barker said. “So when I’m here, I want kids to come talk to me. Those are the things I want young people to realize when I’m in education because I love this job that I have. This job as a coach and a teacher is something that I commit to.”

Barker’s love for the students at West Albany is apparent in the way he interacts with them. He always wants to be as involved and supportive as possible with the students, to the point where anyone can talk to him. “My wife’s in the building. I’m in the building. Right? And at any given time, somebody’s gonna know where I’m at. I can be there within a couple of minutes to help you. My wife’s gonna be there to help you out. You know, so those are the things I want young people to realize when I get into education. It’s not oh, I worked nine months and three months. It’s something that you commit to and you want to build.” Coach Barker is a unique, well-rounded individual who has the ability to inspire and motivate students in a way that few others can. West Albany is fortunate to have him as a coach and a mentor, and his dedication to the students’ success is truly commendable.

Photo by Hailey Miles

He strives to be as involved and supportive as possible, making himself available to students in a way that makes them feel comfortable approaching him like a friend. He is passionate about his role as a coach and mentor, and his enthusiasm is infectious. He often cites examples from popular culture, like the character of Judy Hopps in the movie “Zootopia,” to encourage students to pursue their dreams and not let anyone hold them back. 

“Here’s Judy Hops and her family. Unbeknownst to them, they were holding her back,” Barker said. “Within the movie, Judy is able to break from her family’s protective hold and pursue her dreams because we all have that potential talent. It’s just how we pull it out of ourselves.”

According to Barker, “Zootopia” shows that some of the people we are the closest to can be the ones dragging us down. “So here comes someone like me or another coach that sits there and says, oh, let’s believe in your dream. Let’s figure out a way to pursue that dream.” For Barker, your dreams are his. For him to see a student strive is his job and what he enjoys in life most.