In Search of More Worker Bees; SWARM Robotics Team Holds Annual Open House

Discover the buzz around robotics

How many local STEM programs are you aware of in our community? Currently, there is only one club for kids interested in Robotics at the high school level. Teens from both West Albany and South Albany come to the old cafeteria/stage to participate in weekly meetings regarding the FIRST Robotics Competition program, serving as a bridge between both of high schools. 

The local robotics team, SWARM957, held its annual open house on June 2 from 6-8:30 p.m. in the old cafeteria where the Robotics team workshop is located. Attendees were given the opportunity to learn what SWARM is about and what they do through interactive stations. The team’s high school members were the ones leading the stations and they shared experiences throughout the years. SWARM is an extracurricular that is completely beginner friendly. 

“Personally, I think Robotics is really cool. But I think my intuition is that other people probably think it’s lame, but it is cool. So, seeing all [of these] students come in and ask questions was like, ‘Oh, some students are interested in this,’” sophomore Aidan Richards said.

Richards also explained that they were not just advertising their club but also programs like the First Lego League, which support students who are interested in STEM at the middle and elementary school level. Along with the FIRST Tech Challenge program that is for both middle and high schoolers. There was a small group of elementary students that were able to make it to the open house, surprising some of the SWARM students. 

“It was nice to see kids from all areas of the district,” Richards said. He encourages anyone who is interested in STEM to come check out the program. Students will have opportunities to program the bot, build the bot, or wire the bot. There are many domains a student can pick their personal interest from. “We also have a media team that posts [the activities we do during meetings]. So even if you’re more into artsy stuff, come join and check us out,” Richards said.