PRO’S HELD TO THE SAME STANDARD

Should pro athletes be held to the same standards as others
Abhishek-chandra, unsplash

NBA Charlotte Hornets’ starting power forward, Miles Bridges is being accused of his second domestic abuse allegation against the mother of his children. If this is his second allegation, why did the NBA give him another chance after his first? He missed all of the 22-23 NBA season due to being suspended for his first domestic violence case; he was found guilty but is still in the league.

However, the NBA is not always consistent with these punishments like suspension and more. 

The NBA Houston Rockets starting point guard/shooting guard Kevin Porter Jr. was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend, former WNBA Player Kysre Gondrezick. The Houston Rockets decided to not have him on the team.

So why did the Hornets decide to bring Bridges back? It was because the Hornets were one of the worst teams in the NBA with their 27-55 record, and they really needed Miles Bridges even though he broke a similar law as Kevin Porter Jr. 

NBA Players should not be treated differently just because a team needs them or not. All NBA players should be held to the same standards when it comes to the law, since being able to play in the NBA is a privilege. Just like all our rights, when someone breaks a law to the point of putting yours or someone else’s life in danger is when that privilege should be taken away.