Exploring Extracurriculars

An insight to two clubs at West Albany
Photo by David Dibert on Unsplash
Photo by David Dibert on Unsplash

There are many clubs at West Albany, each offering a variety of activities and opportunities for students to get involved. These clubs cater to a range of interests, allowing students to find one that suits their passions.

One of the clubs that West Albany offers, is the Equestrian club. Lifelong fitness and wellness teacher Brittany Eudy runs the club at WAHS, where students and their horses participate in competition.  

“[The club is] an OSAA sanctioned clubsport. This involves student-athletes and horses” Eudy said. “The Equestrian team here has been going on for many years prior to me taking it over…for at least 15 years. I’ve been an equestrian advisor for about three or four years.” 

When asked why she took over the club, Eudy mentioned her past experience and memories within the sport. “I have some experience and background in horses. I grew up doing 4-H and competing, so it just seemed like it was a good fit for me based on my experience,” she said.

In clubs, there will always be highs and lows. “Seeing the changes from the beginning of the season to the end with the student-athletes and their abilities, what they learned along the way, and the competence that [they] gain.” she said. 

Eudy also faces difficulties in the Equestrian Club. “Learning new events for individuals [is hard]. It can be intimidating [especially] if they don’t have the right horse,” she said.

If you’re thinking about joining the Equestrian Club but want to know more about what they’ll be doing in the future, Eudy lays out the schedule. “We have three meets this year and then hopefully the plan is for some of them to make it to state,” she said.

West Albany and South Albany high schools joint together for the Equestrian Club.“We have a [student at South Albany] who’s a senior named Trinity Taplin. [At West Albany], we have senior Madison Gray who is our team captain.”

Besides Equestrian Club, there is also the Youth and Gov club, which is where students can get involved within the lawmaking process. 

“The Youth and Government club is setting up a mock legislation where students write or propose a new bill or law idea. [We meet] on Thursdays at lunch, and they write their bill. [Eventually] they submit it to a council of students from other high schools in an activity called pre-legislation. [They] go through a legislative session with the bills [the students made], and decide what they’re going to pass, not pass, or change,” said Bryan Wadlow, Teacher and Advisor for Youth and Gov. 

Wadlow believes that students with an interest in government might be interested in the club. “You meet people who have the same interests and passions.” Wadlow said. “Youth and Gov is run through the YMCA…It’s an international program. I volunteered [because] I think it’s valuable,” Wadlow describes his favorite moments when in the club. “I think it’s fun to watch the students get involved in something that typically seems unapproachable,” Wadlow said.

As far as the most difficult part of the club , Wadlow believes it has to do with writing the bills themselves. “I think the most difficult part is coming up with an idea of what you are going to write on, or what you think is important enough to get into the legislature,” he said.

Clubs are a great way to get out of your comfort zone, meet new people with similar interests and learn from different viewpoints, so consider taking a look at the diverse list of the clubs at West Albany and maybe you can find something you have an interest in.