This Week in History: What was Happening in Albany Oregon in the Year 1895

What happened in the year 1895 in Albany Oregon

It is October of 1895. The citizens of Albany, Oregon open their papers to read the news. 

The paper was published in the year 1895, and there were a number of articles; this will go over a few of them. It was an opportunity to be able to go back in time and glimpse at what it was like back then. 

Heliographs were a way for people in the mid-1800s and early 20th centuries to survey land. One of these heliographs was used for the first time in this section, just a week before this paper was published, surveying a piece of land distanced 20 miles. According to the article, this distance was too long for signal flags, so heliographs were resorted to. W. Griswold used it near Newport and the west fork of the North Coos River. 

Another article was a writer’s opinion on the turpentine factory that would be built in Albany, Oregon. The writer’s view was that this factory would be an amazing investment. “The demand for turpentine and oil of peppermint is without limit, and they can be manufactured in this valley with less expense than anywhere else in the United States.” This writer went on to state some other reasons for example how there was a demand for turpentine. The overall opinion is that if people were interested in the well-being of this factory and they were able to, then they should invest.

On Oct. 17 in the town of Halsey, a neighbor found a well-known older man named Samuel Daw, dying. A doctor rushed to his house but found him dead because of the fishy circumstances the doctor had a coroner come to the house. This coroner was thought to be able to find out what happened to Samuel Daw, however, no results were in this article.

Many other articles were published on this page as well and can be accessed through the Albany Democrat-Herald Archives. This archive has newspapers from 1859 when the newspaper was first published all the way to the present day. This website can be accessed through the Albany Public Library under the resource homepage under references. It is free through the wifi provided at the Albany Public Library, however, to find these articles anywhere else, there is a subscription needed for the public to access the archives from previous newspapers.