Preserving the Past, Shaping the Future

How Albany is improving for the next few years

Albany is currently listed in the top 10 fastest growing cities in Oregon, but this comes with the constant need to improve and develop the city. The community has many wants and needs, many want the city to expand while others want new restaurants like Olive Garden to come into town, Communications Officer Matt Harrington says.  Many rely on the city to help with these wants and needs, but they can only do so much. 

Developments like new businesses and brand new residential streets all come from private developers, while the city develops more important matters that keep the city running.

“Those private projects still have to be coordinated heavily with the city to make sure that they fit in with the zoning and the plans for that area,” Environmental Director Sophie Adams said. The Capital Improvement Project is a six hundred page document of a 20 year look at everything the city knows needs to be done. 

“Not a lot of the projects that you’ll see aren’t super exciting, yet they’re crucial for the operation of our city,”  Community Development Director Matthew Ruettgers said.

A crucial development currently being worked on is a main sewer line, called the Cox Creek Interceptor, as it is undersized and is limiting the sewer service running to the east side of the I-5. This project, and only three to five years of the Capital Improvement project has funds, leaving a whole decade of work with no money.  The city heard the community loud and clear when they were upset with the intersection on Century Drive and Knox Butte. The city reached out to the Oregon Department of Transportation about the issue, suggesting putting a temporary signal on the street to help drivers be less confused at the intersection. “We asked ODOT if we can add a temporary signal.,” Ruettgers said. “We were going to pay [for] it on our own and they said no.” 

ODOT’s decision stopped the city from resolving a real issue and helping their community. Problems like funds, private development, and the state’s approval can be key factors in why these developments for the community aren’t getting done. The city workers who are in charge of economic development work hard to push past these issues to continue to develop critical infrastructure to grow towards the future of Albany. 

Climate-friendly housing 

A mandate passed down from former Governor Kate Brown tasked cities in Oregon to create climate friendly areas. In Albany, the city is planning on making climate-friendly communities. Ruettgers describes the communities as, “ Higher density which means moving away from just single family housing.” These areas will include less need to use automobiles because your home, work, and health care providers are all in the same close knit community. This will also eliminate single housing and develop more apartments and commercial and residential mixed buildings.”We ha[ve]n’t seen new apartments and those are desperately needed. Most people getting their first start don’t move right into a brand new house because they’re working and can’t afford one right away,” Ruettgers said.“This will be adding to Albany but also preserving all the things we love about Albany.”

Urban Renewal project 

The Urban Renewal project Adams describes as, “Economic development, especially at a city government level, is trying to remove barriers to make successful business and development.” This is where the city can play in the private development side of things.”Our Enterprise Zone program, that provides short term tax abatement for businesses that are investing a lot in their buildings and infrastructure in Albany that helps with their journey to success.” This project is being used mainly downtown as it is currently restoring old buildings and helping businesses get their start. 

Waterfront Project

Water Avenue’s recent construction has been due to the upcoming waterfront project. The project consists of making a space with lots of exposure to nature and entertainment alongside Water Avenue. “It’s a really exciting project not only for Downtown but the whole community.” Adams, a lead on the project, said. The area will contain a stage for entertainment, lots of grass space and a repeated community request of a splash pad and playground all against the Willamette River. “One goal is to remove invasive species and add native plants that should thrive there.” Ruettgers said. “Part of the other thing we do is not just facilitating development, it is also the preservation of our natural spaces.” Their hopes are to bring more entertainment to downtown for all of the community. 

East Albany

“It’s a vision of what could be.” Harrington said about the development of East Albany. Currently, East Albany is just a hope –  a hope of expanding our city. “A goal is how does East Albany connect with itself, connectivity was a major topic of discussion,” Ruettgers said, describing the vision. The idea for the zoning of East Albany is similar to a small city to create a close atmosphere like a climate-friendly community. Ruettger uses a quote from the Mayor of Albany to bring emphasis on the impact this development can bring to the future of Albany.   “The work we [are]doing today and the questions we are asking, We’re not creating visions for us or our kids but for our grandkids’ kids,” Ruettgers said, quoting Albany’s Mayor Alex Johnson II.

Traffic flow

A constant problem brought to the city’s attention is the traffic congestion in Albany. Traffic flows from North Albany into downtown on any day, especially between 4-5:30 p.m., according to Ruettgers. People from ODOT were hired to come down to Albany to help with the problem. “ODOT was here to tell us some suggestions we could make that wouldn’t involve construction,” Harrington said. “ Like adding a second turning lane to spring hill that goes over the bridge.” The reason for them bringing only ideas involving no construction is to try to keep money out of the solution. A project Harrington thinks worth mentioning is the growth of Albany’s bus transit system. “Providing a wide variety of options for people,” Harrington said, describing the effect of the system growing for people in order to give residents options.