Students talk about their accomplishments and what motivates them in: academics, sports, music, and art

Here at West Albany High School, the motto “Where Excellence is a Strong Tradition” holds true for many students. Through academics, sports, music, and art, West has strong programs and it can be demonstrated through the hard work and dedication of these students. Senior Kyle Milburn, Junior Addie Peterson, Sophomore Drake Morvay, and Freshman Lola Chamberlain talk about what helps them continue on and drive to improve themselves.

Freshman Lola Chamberlain:

As a freshman varsity athlete in basketball, soccer, and track, Chamberlain began to take basketball seriously about two years ago after previously only playing the game recreationally; however, her sports career didn’t start there. Starting her soccer career as a six year old, she only expanded her sports calling. 

“My life centers around [sports],” she said. “Without sports, I just sit at home and not do anything.” What makes Chamberlain exceed is the extra time and effort she puts into practice and clubs.

“I went to [a] camp for soccer to improve my skills,” Chamberlain said. “I’m trying to practice more, so I try to get 15 minutes everyday with the ball.” 

Neurology researchers, Annie Bosler and Don Greene, presented their work on TED about how practicing weaknesses and repetition will help strengthen the pathways from the brain to the muscles. This will help improve the speed and accuracy of an action. By continuing to take time out of her day, Chamberlain hopes to continue her athletic career and continue to get practice and improve. 

“I want to get better because sports is really my life.”

Sophomore Drake Morvay:

As a freshman, Morvay joined Wind Ensemble and Jazz 1 second semester. Now a sophomore, Morvay is still in Wind Ensemble and Jazz, but has expanded his participation in performing arts to Rhythmics, school musicals, and festivals. What makes Morvay such an asset to the music program?

“For a high schooler, having someone who can sing an E^2 is [near] impossible,” he said.“It’s very rare.” 

What got him on this path? 

“My sister was in a lot of music classes…seeing them perform and do these crazy cool things was inspirational. I really wanted to be like that.”

Putting in the extra hours outside of school with evening Rhythmics rehearsals and Jazz during a zero period resulted with Morvay singing solos, playing leads, and winning awards. In the Solo ensemble festival, “We [won] first place in small low brass ensembles,” Morvay said.

Junior Addie Peterson:

To create is a skill that is sought after in the arts world. Artists are always looking for something new and different as they look through a different perspective at the world around them. 

At 10 years old, Peterson got into art as a way to express herself. She continued throughout middle school now and is now in AP Art “I really wanted a challenge for myself, and I thought it would be a fun way to do it,” she said

What makes Petersons art unique is that she uses it as a way to document her history. Some people may journal or take photos, but for Peterson, it’s something that only she can understand.

“It’s fun to see different stages of my life,” she said. “Like documenting.”

As of currently, Peterson is working on a project to try and reflect on how other people feel and their lives through the window of their eyes. 

“My sustained investigation is about eyes and emotions through eyes,” she said. “The effect of trauma.”

Senior Kyle Milburn:

Milburn has had a goal of success since he was younger thanks to his older brothers influence, and in the words of of Milburn 

“I couldn’t let him be better than me.”

If Milburn has lived up to that goal is up to you, as Milburn has taken: Advanced Placement Biology, AP Physics C, AP Chemistry, AP Calculus AB, AP World History, AP U.S. History, AP Literature, AP Composition, and four years of Spanish which counts as an AP class. In all he has taken nine AP classes and continues to have a four point grade point average. While on top of academics, he has participated in competitive swimming since he was six, taken four years of choir, band, and is in 4H. 

What gives Milburn the energy and motivation to keep going? He answers “I enjoy what I do, I have to keep moving.”

Milburn continues on with a plan of majoring in theater.