The Student News Site of West Albany High School

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

Laufey: Bewitched Album Review

The jazz singers second full-length album

The 48:19 minute “Bewitched” album written by Icelandic singer songwriter Laufey and produced by Spencer Stewart, shows the overwhelming nature of falling in love while being enchanted by somebody. Laufey takes Jazz to the next level with her second full-length album. Laufey’s songs have the smoothness of classic jazz but her lyrics are powerful and relatable. She hit every point on what love might feel like, good or bad. The lyrics she writes brings Jazz to a younger demographic.

“Bewitched” opens up with the song “Dreamer,” where Laufey explains wanting to drift from reality into her own creation away from heartache and disappointments. Laufey writes “ Let me be a dreamer/ let me float / I can see the whole world / from my own little cloud / up by the Milky Way.”  The writing is personal but sounds light and heavenly like most songs on the album such as “Second Best” about being in a relationship and knowing you’re not as good as what they had and her song “Letter to my Thirteen year old self,” where Laufey gets personal and reflects on her life. 

The closing song is the title track “Bewitched.” Contrasting from the opening song, “ Bewitched” is about the tenderness of being so in love with someone that they have a trance on you. Laufey writes “You wrote me a note, cast a spell on my heart/ And bewitched me”. The instrumental is so delicate and captures the lyrics perfectly.

The best song of “Bewitched” would be “From the start.” Everything about this song is uplifting. It’s about gushing over a crush and it warms the heart. It’s the type of head swaying with a huge smile. “That when I talk to you/ Oh. Cupid walks right through/ And shoots an arrow through my heart.” Laufey is talking about the little acts of a crush that makes you head over heels. The song reminds me of songs like  “Glue Song ” By Beabadoobee and “Cherry Wine” by Grentperez.

Personal rating of this album is a 9.2/10. The instrumental is beyond heavenly and the Philharmonia Orchestra added onto the songs “Bewitched” and “ California and Me” can be added bonuses. Laufey is a lyrical genius who captures real problems and feelings. While listening to the album a personal connection can be made with many of these songs. If you want to find an album you could relate to then check out “ Bewitched” by Laufey.