The Student News Site of West Albany High School

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

Dementia In Other Forms

Junior creates Ap Art Portfolio on Dementia

William Leventhal was assigned to make fourteen art pieces based around one subject for his Ap Art class, Leventhal chose the subject of dementia. The first time Leventhal had heard of dementia was when he found out his grandfather had it. That’s what drew some of his inspiration along with a six hour album called “ Everywhere At The End Of Time” By The Caretakers which is an album on Dementia.

“It is terrifying and there are no words. It’s just a bunch of sounds from the 1920s and they are distorted. It’s really cool.” Leventhal describes.     As Leventhal was doing chores around the house he listened to the album for four hours straight and got inspired to turn it into art. “I want to make this but I want people to see it instead of hear it.” Leventhal states.  

When Leventhal  creates his art he pulls a lot of inspiration from what he sees like his piece on a wooden box. “I work at the Albany Carousel and I took like a little box from there. I have a light to make it seem not so lonely but it fades away really fast and it’s really distorted and like how the memories go on, Leventhal said.

When Leventhal  thinks of Art he thinks of how it affects your emotions. He wants to make the people who view his art feel the emotion that he wants them to feel which is somewhat disturbed.” “It’s [dementia] not comfortable even if you think about how it would be, imagine living in it.”