CTE classes

How do the CTE teachers feel about their CTE classes and why they chose to teach the CTE classes?

Jacquelinen Kahler: I do.Normally I just teach French, so I only get a very select number of freshmen.[With] Teaching a CTE class, I really get to know the whole freshmen class, which is wonderful.  

Kahler: No, I really like how things are going now. Maybe once in a while, I like to change a recipe or something, but I kind of got it dialed in pretty well.

Kahler: There are some frustrating days like when there are students who clearly don’t want to be there and don’t really listen to me, or some kids don’t really listen, but overall I enjoy it.

Shea Bender: I love teaching CTE. I actually was just talking to Miss[ ] Lien about it the other day. I get to meet students that I normally talk to about child development. 

Bender: I’d like to continue adding more hands-on opportunities there in the future, but I’m not sure where that’s going to be quite yet. 

Bender:I think sometimes being a teacher in general can have its frustrations, but I also think it’s a really rewarding job too.I really like CTE because it gives the hands-on [experience], and I’m a hands-on learner… our students do really well with hands on. 

Joey Running: I love teaching CTE.

Running: I guess by definition, we’re constantly changing because CTE requires students to learn by doing, and the industry constantly changes…We have to be able to change with the times and offer skill building that our students can take always.

Running: No, I love it. You get to see students in a different way …they’re doing application of skills in the class instead of maybe having to read something and summarize it.

Morgan Wadlow: I do. I really like the opportunity to get to know every freshman. I like exposing them to the different areas that we have to offer here at West Albany. I think it’s really good to get a really broad understanding of what’s available.

Wadlow: Probably not. We’ve considered some different things, [like] shorter rotation[s]but we always discuss them and then end up leaving in the same…I think it’s a pretty successful format. 

Wadlow: Yes, it can be, [but] overall, I enjoy it most of the time. It’s difficult only having students for six weeks – you barely get to know them, and then it’s time for them to move on. Sometimes…because the students If they already have been in a loud class or a disruptive class or they kind of come in with their own vibe. And as a teacher, it’s hard to then establish the classroom climate or vibe that you want to establish.