Advanced Athletics: Student Athletes’ Perspective

Do the students find the class as useful as its intended purposes?
Edson S. Conn
Sophomore Scotty Cummings

Advanced Athletics is a class designed for students to maintain strength, both in and out of their seasons of play. “It’s also [intended] to make the proper gains needed to be able to be a varsity caliber athlete,” football coach Brian Mehl said. While some students aren’t too excited about it taking other classes away from them, they still find that it improves their skills.

Junior Trent Krzoska says he wasn’t fond of the class in the beginning because it took away one of his open periods. “But realizing what it’s contributing to in terms of next year’s success on the football team, I’m glad I got put into it.” Krzoska said. “I think it’s useful because it keeps you in shape year-round, and I think it’s a good thing to stay fit because it’s beneficial for your overall health.” 

Math teacher and football coach Sam Hartman says that he sees the class as a way for student athletes to train for varsity athletics. With constant training and refinement in athletes’ strength, speed, and agility, all of the coaches hope to not only improve physical growth, but also to build confidence, and find the connection between their bodies and minds.

They also have many hopes for the class. “I personally hope it gives the athletes some transferable athletic traits that work [across] multiple different sports, Health teacher and basketball coach Drew Halvorson said.” He talks about traits that can be useful in any sport, such as speed. Speed can be helpful on the football field in the fall, and it can help with baseball in the spring. “So they can use these skills like speed, strength, and agility, across almost all sports.”

Senior Lauren Bernt also believes that the class is very helpful. “As a volleyball player, there’s a lot of jumping and strength necessary, so having the [plyometrics] and the heavy weight lifting every other day has really improved my skills.” Bernt also says that it’s an important class if you really want to be good at your sport. “I think it’s very useful, especially to the kids that want to get better at their sport and have goals to be better. It’s a great outlet for strength training.” She talks about her peers in the class. “It’s a great community too, if you’re willing to put in the work…people here are willing to put in the work to help motivate you.”

The coaches want the class to produce bigger, faster, and stronger athletes, and the students reciprocate that. They all want to be better at their sport, which sometimes involves some extra effort, but overall they agree the class is worth it, and that it helps enhance their skills to new levels.