Crash Course: Different Options After High School

What factors cause students to consider other options after high school

High School graduation is approaching quickly, and many students are considering what to pursue after high school. Traditionally, there has been the expectation that students will attend college after high school, whether that is a four-year university or a local community college. However, in recent years, data has shown that fewer students are applying to college.

Students consider many factors when deciding what path to take for their future. These factors can range from geographic location, available opportunities for religious and cultural groups, and career opportunities to how their decision may affect friends and family. 

Students can be influenced by family members as well as people around them. “I chose community college because all the firefighter paramedics around town told me Chemeketa is the best program, and I want the best education, so community college happened to be that for me.” Senior Madison Shipley said. “Sometimes people will follow in the same footsteps as parents or aunts and uncles,” Counselor Karen Beattie said. Some families may have one or two parents who have gone to college or earned certificates that shape the path their children may follow. 

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, students are more likely to attend college if one or more of their parents has received a college degree or certificate. 

“Some students know exactly what they want, so they go directly to a four-year university, and they can just hit the ground running. Some don’t know yet, and that is actually more common,” Beattie said. At West Albany High School, many resources are available, including the College and Career Center, which is a new addition to our school. 

“We have [an LBCC Representative here} every Thursday to meet with students,” Beattie said. Recently, he has been helping students with FAFSA. The College and Career Center also has job postings that students can look at to find out what companies are hiring.