Teenager up at the crack of dawn

¨When I’m tired I feel like I get less work done and I’m not paying attention to the teachers as much… I’m instead falling asleep in class instead of doing my work,¨ Junior Lilly Luke said.

With the time of school staring at WAHS being at 7:40 am, students might have different stances on how it affects them. Some say that when they wake up this early in the morning it gets them ready to start working.

¨It’s early enough to where you’re…  productive,” said Junior Katin Smith

However, others express that getting up this early interferes with everything else they have going on in their life.

¨Why does it start at 7:40 am… That’s stupid. If we’re gonna start things really early [then] why is my varsity soccer game like… a four [to] three-hour break between when school ends [and] my game?¨ senior Andy Craig said.

Sleep serves a cranial and physical purpose, helping people overall keep healthy.

¨You’re less likely to become overwhelmed or stressed… Sleep helps your body and your mind to regenerate [and] recoup.¨ sophomore and junior councillor Jan Rasmusson said.   

Students can keep a healthy pattern of sleep by focusing on a morning routine, therefore creating habits.

“Part of it is just taking the time to get your body going,”  said Rasmussen.

Considering the age range of the students is also a factor of their behavior leading up to getting a night’s rest which quality can affect them in the day.

“Teens keep later out, they tend to stay up later. So asking them to get up earlier means asking them to change their culture,” said science teacher Shana Hains.“It’s asking them to change their behavior… which is normal behavior for teenagers to stay up a little late watching TV, talking with friends… That’s normal behavior.”