Leaving a Legacy: Why Ex-principal Susie Orsborn left WAHS after a 38 year career

After 38 years Former WAHS principal Susie Orsborn moves on to District position
Mrs.+Orsborn+during+the+first+assembly+or+the+2023-24+school+year+announcing+that+she+would+be+leaving+WAHS+
Zhaine Raymundo
Mrs. Orsborn during the first assembly or the 2023-24 school year announcing that she would be leaving WAHS

Former principal Susie Orsborn spent 38 years with the same destination every morning. For the past few weeks, though, that destination has changed.
“On my way to work, I so many times drive to West and have to turn around and come back here,” Orsborn, who now works at the district office, said.
Since the school year of 1985-86, Orsborn has been a part of West Albany High School leading with care for each and every student and staff member, creating a welcoming environment.
That’s why it was surprising when Orsborn announced at the beginning of the school year that she would be leaving her position at WAHS and taking a new position as the Executive Director of Human Resources for the district.
Orsborn had been at WAHS for 38 years, and during that time was a math teacher, a leadership advisor, and a cheer coach, throughout 15 of them. She served as an assistant principal for four years, and the 2023-2024 school year would have marked 20 years as principal.
After working with Rich Engel, who took over as principal for 12 years, Orsborn is confident the school is in good hands.
“I always hoped he would follow me as the principal,” Orsborn said. “I have the utmost faith in Mr. Engel and the whole staff.” With Engel taking on the role of principal, Orsborn feels that the traditions and environment will stay the same. Yet, Engel believes there is no one who could truly replace Orsborn.
“They’re really shoes that can’t be filled. She was here for 38 years,” Engel said.
The motto of West Albany High School is ‘Where excellence is a strong tradition’, and WAHS is known for the various traditions it has built over the years such as Air Guitar, Powderpuff, Old Skool, and many others.

“[Orsborn] has created a phenomenal school and a phenomenal culture within the school, ” Engel said. According to Orsborn, she feels that the culture wasn’t just built by her but everyone before her and will continue to build with Mr. Engel and all the principals and staff to follow.

“We’ve just built and carried on such a strong tradition from year to year,” Orsborn said.

Furthermore, many of the traditions at West stay alive and thriving every year. “I love the tradition of the pep assemblies, I love the academic excellence, I love the fact that I get calls all the time from the community about how great the students at West Albany are,” Orsborn said.
There isn’t anything like West at a Friday night football game, says Orsborn. “When the bands are playing in the stands, the students are dressed up, the football team, the cheerleaders, the dance team at halftime.” Orsborn claims that moments like these are when students feel proud to go to WAHS “It just radiates the same way you feel at a pep assembly.”
According to Orsborn over the years West has built a rich culture where staff and students have a place.
After Orsborn took on a new position following her many years at West Albany she explained that she was looking towards retirement but wanted to have an influence on bridging the district and buildings together and thought that this position would be a good fit for her and her skill set.“ I have a good working relationship with the people in the district and thought that this would be a perfect job for me to really help build trust with the unions and the district.”
Having handled many different things concerning staff at West, Orsborn thought that this position would be a good fit for her and her skill set and will be handling hiring, retention, and anything to do with staff at the district office.
“I think that my job at West has totally prepared me for this role. I know how hard both teachers and staff work, and I know that every person really wants what is best for students,” Orsborn said.
With such a long career with so many highs, there naturally have to be lows. “Some of the biggest challenges are that you never know what can happen from day to day.” According to Orsborn COVID was also very tough for her as principal. “We had to rebuild our culture, our climate, and our traditions,” Orsborn said. Each year since coming back from COVID the students and staff at West continue to rebuild the climate and carry on traditions.
“I just have no regrets,” Orsborn said, “none at all.”
“It was some of the greatest times of my life and I will cherish the experiences and opportunities forever.” Orsborn said, “I’ve been so fortunate to work in a school that the staff, students, and community have been so fantastic and supportive,”
Over the course of many years, Orsborn has touched the lives of many people. “Somehow, some way everyone in the community is connected to her,” Engel said. Since Orsborn has been a teacher and principal at WAHS, there have been around 14 alumni who have returned to be staff members or teachers at WAHS and have worked with her, including math teacher Cole Pouliot. “She was always putting in the time and effort and her work ethic was something that you noticed.” Pouliot said “Like just [something that] inspired you to also work your hardest and give your best effort to try and try and get close to her level.”
“Every person over the years has made a difference in who I am,” Orsborn said. “I wanted students to know that they could do anything they wanted to; I wanted them to be able to chase their dreams.”