Academic servants

The problem with parents monitoring their children school accounts

There are also a lot of other students who feel the way freshman Zyon Moevao does. .“When my parents check my grades, I get a little nervous,” Moevao said. Though it can be nerve-wracking, a lot of kids do well in school because of the standards that their parents hold for them. Usually, the reason parents put those standards on their children is because they care about their kids.

For study skills teacher Shanna Turner, checking her kids’ grades weekly is, “empowering [her] kids to make sure they are holding themselves accountable “ .The reason some parents check their children’s grades is because it feels like a sense of responsibility on the parent’s part and instills responsibility within the teenager to stay on top of their assignments. However this is a good thing because it can keep the student in check and ensure their success. 

“The controlling aspect comes from trust being broken,”  Turner said. The trust broken means if they start acting suspicious and secretive .

The main reason she checks her kids’ grades is because of trust. When parents check grades, it can stress students out. It is building up good stress because they can put a reasonable expectation on their kids that they can live up to. They are also creating a sense of responsibility because students know that their parents are going to check their grades; therefore, they have to make sure it is reaching their parents’ standards.

It can also  build their own standards and allows them to develop a good sense of responsibility that will stay with them as they head off to college or into the workforce. Turner believes that parents should guide their kids instead of controlling them. Parents should encourage students  to develop their own standards for their grades by offering support .

Study shows that parents’ involvement in checking grades, students grades have a higher level of academic performance.Then parents who are less involved with their children grades . Study also shows that parents’ involvement has a benefit on the relationship between the child and parent . The effect it has on students is that their classroom behavior turns out better when they know their parents are gonna check their grades.  

The good habits you develop as a young adult will accompany you as you grow older. Through accumulating responsibilities like checking your grades and being able to fix them without being nagged at by your guardians allows for growth towards independence and immaturity. This independence can apply in the workforce because you have built a good sense

of responsibility and ownership of your own work. The stress that builds up from parents checking grades will end up helping students in the long run.