Sorry I’m Booked: Students share books they are currently reading.

Reading recommendations by students on campus.

WW: Give a synopsis of the book.

Boucher: It’s called the Kite Runner. It’s about a young boy living in Afghanistan. When the war started he fled to America and left his best friend behind. [Later], he came back to try and rescue his son. 

Bates: The main character is the daughter of a man who is in charge of a group called the Uglies, who are kind of like bandit outlaws who do really cool things. But they’re not liked by noble people. Currently, the Uglies are split into two groups. One group is the evil, bad group. So, the father is trying to unite the rest of the Uglies. 

Yakavenka: It’s the Death Note 13 How to Read. There’s not really a plot, it’s a guide to the original, which is about a high school student who finds a notebook that allows you to kill [someone] just by writing down their name. 

Cruise: There are multiple main characters, but it’s one kingdom fighting against another. And they’re trying to make an alliance. One kingdom is poor, so they need silver, so they’re trying to slaughter the other kingdom. The other kingdom wants peace, so they just want to balance. 

Stenger: It’s called the Road. It’s about a man who’s caught in an apocalyptic time and he and his son try to get to the coast during the story. 

Rosas: The Fault in our stars is about  a girl named Hazel Grace who has cancer and she goes to a support group with other cancer patients and there she meets a boy named Augustus Waters and it’s a sort of romance novel with deeper issues.

Harrington: I’m reading IT and it’s about seven kids and their journey of defeating a clown monster. 

Larson: I really like Anne of Green Gables. The author explains things in a really pretty way. It’s about this orphan girl named Anne and she goes on a lot of adventures throughout the series. She gets into a lot of mischief. 

WW: What has been the most memorable part from the book?

Boucher: When he was getting beat up by somebody, the person he was rescuing shot him (the attacker) with a slingshot and saved him.

Bates: It’s when these two young children are fleeing this village and are following a character called “Quinn”. The Dad tells the captain of the ship to take the children with him but he accidentally takes one of the other children as well, so he ends up kidnapping two children. It was really funny. 

Yakavenka: My personal favorite part was a little fight scene between the main detective and the main character. It probably wasn’t supposed to be humorous, but to me it was pretty funny, how it turned out. 

Cruise: There’s this guy who used to be a commander of the Royal Guard and he ran away because he supposedly has magic and people are looking for him and wanted to kill him.

Stenger: They went into a bunker and found a lot of food down there that nobody had ever found yet

Rosas: When Agustas used his Make a wish to take Hazel to meet the author that wrote her favorite book.

Harrington: Stephen king has an interesting writing style and he writes so questionable themes.

Larson: When she became a teacher, she inspired the students like how she would’ve wanted to be inspired. She was kind of like a mother figure to them and that was really cute. 

WW: Would you recommend this book to people around you? 

Boucher: Yes.

Bates: I would. It doesn’t have a complex reading level or anything and it’s nice when you’re trying to take a break. 

Yakavenka: Absolutely. It’s really good, and it really gets you thinking. 

Cruise: Yes.

Stenger: Maybe. It is interesting. There’s some parts that can be boring. 

Rosas: Yes, it’s not what I expected it to be. 

Harrington: Yes

Larson: Oh yeah, I totally would. I think her writing is a lot more old fashioned which, kind of, got me into other books like it.