Hi-Step in Life: Freshmen Logan Vestal joins the Hi-Steppers how does everyone feel?

How Logan Vestal and his fellow Hi-Stepper teammates feel about him on the team.

Freshman Logan Vestal has spun his way into the traditionally all-female Hi-Steppers, in recent years of not having males on the dance team at West Albany High School. Even with both applause and raised eyebrows from peers, Vestal continues to do what his heart desires. “I haven’t really been interested in most things. I have tried soccer and a few other sports, but they didn’t really fit me,” Vestal said. “My friend told me about dance and I was thinking that I should try it out, so I did.”

Despite his lack of dance experience, Vestal receives the same amount of support and criticism as his teammates. The girls on the team do not view Vestal any differently. It’s just like another person joining the team. “I have done studio dance outside of high school,” junior Luna Castro said. “It’s very normal to have guys and girls in classes and on competition teams…it’s normal for me to have a guy on the team.”

On Oct. 20, Vestal did his first performance in front of the school with his fellow Hi-Steppers. Despite the frightening prospect of performing in front of his peers, Vestal was met with encouraging reactions. “It was very nerve-wracking,” he admitted. “But I knew that I wanted to be out there to show everybody that you can do what you want. It doesn’t matter if people say anything, positive or negative. I just wanted to be out there because I knew that it was something I loved.”

After Vestal’s first performance with the Hi-Steppers, word spread quickly around the school. However, Vestal didn’t let that affect him, thanks to the support of his teammates. “I think the main thing is just [the team] supporting each other,” said senior Sarah Ward. “He works hard. He has a great spirit and he really puts his all into everything…we all just kind of like to support him.”

While having his teammates’ support Vestal also has his own positive mindset.

“I am dealing with the rumors pretty well,” said Vestal. “I don’t like being talked about in certain ways, but I just think of it as something that’s irrelevant. Sometimes people say stuff, but at the end of the day, comments like that don’t matter because they don’t affect you unless you let them.”

Freshman year may just be the beginning for Vestal. With a promising start in the world of dance, he’s already considering what the future might hold. Although not worrying too much about it, he sees himself continuing with his newfound passion in some way. “I think if all goes well, I would love to dance after high school. If I work hard and I can dance for college, then I will. I can also see myself doing dance as a career,” Vestal said. “I am not looking that far into it yet, but I think if dance as a career is an option, then I would do it.”

While all his teammates and parents are supportive, one person who stands out the most is his friend and teammate.

“My friend Aubrey Edwards always tells me to just power through and keep going no matter what…all those people are going to talk their talk, but I need to walk my walk,” said Vestal. “That is what I need to do, and what I feel is best for me.”