The Student News Site of West Albany High School

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

(Not) Black and White

An inside look at the chess club
Mika Winder

Every Wednesday, a group of students who enjoy playing chess meet together in the library after school. The club members play chess with each other, talk about the game, and hang out as a group. Here is what a few of the members had to say about the club experience. 

WW: What does a typical day look like in the chess club?

Junior AJ Howard: Usually it’s one game of chess per person. 

Junior Kale Sloan: Chess games can either last a while or a short amount of time so depending on how you do, you could have multiple games or a single game.

Howard (in response to Sloan): Yeah, I think for me it usually is shorter because I just lose really quickly. That’s an ordinary day, I think.

WW: What is one thing you’ve learned since joining the club?

Sloan: Well, I’ve met a few new people. That’s something I guess you could say I’ve learned. Chess skills wise, I’ve learned a few openings kind of unofficially, but I can still say that I think I’ve learned them. 

WW: How did you get into chess?

Junior Jake Bailey: Before joining this club, I actually never played the game before. And during sophomore year, I was doing a project for [English teacher Krissy Rasmussen’s] class over in the back corner and I saw them all gathered, so I just kind of informally invited myself in and joined them. It’s been really fun and, you know, I’ve made friends with these guys.

WW: Who are your favorite people to play chess with, and why?

Junior Casden Washko: I like playing with everyone, but I especially love playing with [Club President] Aiden [Richards]. I guess because he’s the best one here, and I can only beat him very rarely. But everyone else poses a challenge, obviously. I think everyone plays really well. [In general] just whoever has the most skills. 

WW: What is the most intense moment that you’ve witnessed while you’ve been running the club?

Junior and Club President Aiden Richards: I feel like we keep it pretty mellow here. I feel like, probably, it’s just when people make blunders in their game. They’ll exclaim or something and I’ll come and watch it and it will be funny to see. That’s probably the most excitement that you’ll get here. I think most of it is just relaxing and enjoying the game. 

WW: How did you go about recruiting people to join the club? 

Richards: Honestly, I just told all my friends and people I knew who played chess, and I just talked to them about it and mentioned it. Then from there, they talked to their friends about it. I haven’t officially made any posters or anything; although, I want to eventually do that. 

Club founder, junior Aiden Richards.