The Student News Site of West Albany High School

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

A 1987 Grand’s new home

New Grand piano in APAC through donations for students.
Emi Ludlow
Stuart Welsh and David Nicholas inspecting the new piano.

When first walking into the Albany Performing Arts Center, also known as the APAC, you may see that on top of the stage lies a 1917 Grand Piano which is being put to rest after going through countless Spring musicals, concerts, and other events.

“It’s a wonderful instrument,” said Band Director Stuart Welsh in regards to it being built in WW1, “[but] the refurbishing cost would be just staggering.” 

Given the cost of refurbishing the wartime instrument, a new 7’4” 1987 Yamaha C7 Grand Piano was purchased completely with donations totaling $30,000. According to Welsh, all of the donors who contributed at least $2500 will have their names inscribed on plaques that will be placed on the back of the seats in the APAC, including one donor who remains anonymous. This anonymous donor contributed roughly half the amount necessary to purchase the piano, as well as providing the needed tuning and maintenance.  

In December, the piano arrived and its first performance was during Winter at West where Sophomore Jerry Wang and Graduate David Nicholas showed off their talent in classical piano solos.

“There is nothing that the school district purchases,” Welsh said, “that will last as long as a grand piano.”