Why winter?

What does senior Madeline Hoffert-Hay do during the winter that makes it her favorite season?
Madeline Hoffert-Hay
Painting of Mount Hood by Madeline Hoffert-Hay

While most people use winter break as a way to relax, and quite literally take a break from school, senior Madeline Hoffert-Hay spends her winter break doing one of her favorite cold activities, skiing. She embraces the cold weather, spending time every winter in the mountains. Her time in the mountains also sparks inspiration, as she paints pictures of Mt. Hood, a place she frequently goes. 

WW: Why do you enjoy winter and what do you enjoy about it?

Hoffert-Hay: I’m a skier so that’s probably what I enjoy most. I’ve skied since I was seven, so I think that’s the main contributing factor to why it’s my favorite. 

WW: Is there something else you look forward to specifically? Why?

Hoffert-Hay: I also love the Christmas season. My family does lots of Christmas traditions and things like that.

WW: What do you do during your free time over winter break?

Hoffert-Hay: I spend the first half of break with my mom and then the second half with my dad. [I] make lots of Christmas cookies with my mom. And then my dad usually does a ski trip the second week of break. Last year just my dad and I went and we spent three or four days, it’s a lot of fun. I also have been painting since I was around 11, I work in acrylic paint and do landscapes of places I’ve been to. I’ve painted Mt Hood a few times too.

WW: What inspires you to choose what to paint?

Hoffert-Hay: I take lots of pictures when I go on trips and I use them for reference so they are all inspired [by nature]. Plus I love being outside so I love painting landscapes.

WW: Where is your favorite place to be in the winter?

Hoffert-Hay: I’ve spent a lot of time the past couple winters at Mt. Hood.I ski at Mt. Hood Meadows. I’ve also spent a lot of time over in Sisters; Hoodoo Mountain is over there. But Sisters is probably my favorite place to do stuff in. It’s a really cute town and they have cute decorations around.

WW: What is your overall favorite part of winter?

Hoffert-Hay: Probably the weather. I really like the cold. I love the clothes you get to wear, and I just don’t like being hot. It’s just a lot better than summer.

WW: If you had to convince someone that winter was the best season, what would you say?

Hoffert-Hay: I would have to say that there are way more activities that you can do in cold weather than in hot weather. Besides swimming, there aren’t many things that are specifically summer activities, whereas winter has lots of activities like skiing, ice skating, sledding, etc, that are only possible if there’s snow. I also think that it’s a lot easier to dress for cold weather because you can always put on warm layers. Hot weather is a lot more annoying because there’s not much you can do to feel cooler.”

Madeline Hoffer-Hay skiing on Mount Hood (Jason Hay)
Madeline Hoffert-Hay skiing on Mount Hood (Bella Hoffert-Hay)