Why are lighter colored eyes “better”?

Blue/green eyes have been seen as “better” in media for years, but why?

Over the years, there have been many debates on which physical traits are seen as “appealing” or “more attractive.” Green eyes, gray eyes, and especially blue eyes, have always been idolized in the media, which leaves other eye colors neglected.

In writer Georgina Berbardi’s article “The Science Behind Why We Find Certain Eye Colors So Attractive, she says “1-800-Contacts recently conducted a survey of 1000 people to figure out peoples perceptions of eye color. One of the study’s main findings was that gray eyes are both the rarest and the statistically most attractive color.” 

It’s been this way for ages, despite the beauty standard always changing. But why is that? Why are lighter colored eyes more treasured compared to darker ones? It’s been years since this started, before social media, and even earlier than that. Bluer eyes have almost always been more attractive to people.

Eyes, one of the first things people notice about a person, can quickly draw someone in. So, while undertones in brighter eye colors are easier to see, undertones in darker shades take longer to be seen. This is often because you cannot see the undertone in darker shades unless they are viewed in the light. 

Due to this standard, many people with brown eyes have become insecure about their eyes which has led  some to want lighter eyes. But, it shouldn’t be this way as everyone should love their eye color without being told that other colors are prettier or more desirable. 

Yes, blue eyes are beautiful. Many people find blue and gray eyes very attractive, describing them like “deep waters” or “icy”. Green eyes as well, saying that they look like “emeralds” or “nature.” 

While this is true, this does not discount the truth that brown eyes are beautiful, too. People say that brown eyes look like “mahogany”, or “pools of honey.” But even so, they aren’t talked about enough. 

Blue and green eyes are stunning, there is no doubt about it. However, brown eyes are gorgeous too — along with hazel, gray, amber, and every other variation of color. All eye colors are unique, and you could get lost in them all.