How To: Find New Music

Ideas to expand your music taste!
Art by A’Shyia Swensen

*Note: There was incorrect text in this article within the April issue of The Whirlwind, and the steps are all ‘step one’ as the result of a technical complication not due to staff. This is the correct text.

Music is how we decorate time. If you’re like me, you might have trouble with this type of decorating because you have the bad habit of sticking to the old reliable favorites. If you have this problem and find yourself “musically picky”, here are some ideas to shake up your playlist and find new hidden gems. 

Strategy 1: Download Swipefy (Or try other music algorithm apps.

Strategy 2: Google “Radio Garden” (Music Websites).

Strategy 3: Ask friends for their playlists.

Strategy 5: type in random titles you can think of on Youtube or Spotify, see what you get!

Strategy 6: Look up your favorite band’s inspirations, they probably have familiar elements.

Strategy 7: Look up movie soundtracks from movies you enjoy.

Strategy 8: Read ‘Best Album’ lists in descending order, and pretend you’re a music critic. 

Strategy 9: Don’t skimp on the record section when you go shopping or thrift. You can take pictures of interesting albums even if you don’t have the equipment to play a record or a tape.

Strategy 10: Look up covers of your favorites to find underground artists on Youtube. Some covers are better than the originals!

Strategy 11: listen to unfamiliar playlists while doing other things like reading or doing the dishes, this keeps you less likely to become impatient if you aren’t immediately receptive to new songs.