Q&A with senior AP Art students Sam Howard and Madeline Hoffert-Hay

Maseline Hoffert-Hay and Sam Howard dive into their Portfolios for this years AP Art class

This year, 21 students were enrolled in AP Art, which is the highest number of students the course has had ever. The AP Art curriculum pushes the students to dive deep and create art with great meaning and passion. At the beginning of the year, students had to pick a theme for their artwork that they would have to follow for the rest of the year. Throughout the year, students created 14 pieces that followed their theme for the year in their own medium of choice. A medium is the materials used to create the art piece, some examples would be acrylic paint, oil pastels, graphite, etc. Seniors Madeline Hofferet-Hay and Sam Howard elaborate on their theme for the year and what inspired and motivated them.

Madeline Hoffert-Hay

WW: What was your theme?

Hoffert-Hay: “I do acrylic painting, and [my theme] is just centered around [things] like nature.”

WW: How did you get your inspiration?

Hoffert-Hay: “A big part of my process is going out and taking reference pictures for my art.”

WW: Why did you choose acrylic paint for your medium?

Hoffert-Hay: “I’m totally self-taught with acrylic painting, so it’s been a lot of trial and error, but I´ve tried to get more hyper-realistic.

WW: How did you pick the pieces in your portfolio?

Hoffert-Hay: “I didn’t really have a process. I would have pictures and be like, ‘Ooo, this one is a cool one!’ It wasn’t very organized.”

Madeline’s website to her portfolio

Sam Howard

WW: What was your theme?

Howard: “My theme was coming of age, which is very big. I wanted it to be big because I wanted to be able to do a bunch of different stuff.”

WW: How did you get inspiration?

Howard: “I like coming-of-age films. I [used] film as my medium and stylistic inspiration. I was inspired a lot by foreign cinema in general.”

WW: Why did you choose film for your medium?
Howard: “I chose film because that’s something that I’ve always been passionate about since middle school. It’s just something that’s really clicked with me.”

Howard: “[The pieces] generally tended to be the ones that I felt happiest with, that I felt showed certain skills that I learned, and that got the message I was trying to tell across.”

Sam’s website to his portfolio