Sweet Success

A student at West Albany shows off their baking brilliance
Focaccia made by Henry Zinck

In the kitchen of West Albany’s Baking and Pastry arts class, the rich aroma of bread that is baking fills the air, the warmth of the oven envelops, and the delicious pieces of culinary art being created. Whether it is cakes, breads, or something completely different from what many are used to, the baking world has endless flavors and surprises.

Junior Henry Zinck has been a baker since the age of three, and has had an interest in it ever since. They decided to join the class due to wanting to upgrade their skills. 

“[Culinary teacher Dolly] Victorine is great, one of the best teachers at the school,” Zinck said.  “[Baking and Pastry class is] just generally good for anyone that wants more experience in baking.” 

Victorine, seeing the students’ growth, notices what they’re best at “Their baking of breads is incredible,” Victorine says. “They take a lot of time, practicing and trying different things, trial and error.”

Zinck’s interest in the class has also furthered their experience in their baking process, with new dishes being served in the class. “We have been baking quick breads, yeast breads, and we’re in the middle of our chocolate unit. It has led us to a whole bunch of different recipes, [where we] test out some new techniques. Pretty simple stuff, but it’s fun.” 

In the pastry class, each person excels in their own specialties, whether it’s a dessert, savory pastries or baked goods. 

“Focaccia [is what I’m best at],” Zinck said. “It is an Italian flatbread, normally covered with olive oil, tomatoes or basil.”   

Victorine confirms Zinck by saying “I think that their Rosemary garlic Focaccia was the best.”

Zinck uses their strength in the kitchen, but with every strength lies an accompanying challenge. According to Zinck, cake is one of the hardest things to bake.

“It doesn’t seem like it would be [that hard],” Zinck said, “but it is so ridiculously difficult.” 

With all of the experience that Zinck has gone through in their life, including their time in this class, they still stay interested in this hobby and plan a future with it in mind. 

“I’m going into the culinary field, so I’m probably going to become a pastry chef and make it my professional career.”