Track Season

Runners hopes and goals for the season

Track and Field is back in season, and athletes around West are getting ready for what’s ahead of them. New hopes and goals are floating around in their heads, like junior Bethany Doggett, who has been doing track since freshman year.

Doggett has a lot of goals, but her main hope is to qualify for state in the 15,000-meter race. “I hope to break the school record for 1,000 meters,” Doggett said. Her goals are different from last season because she said that she was slower. She also would have never planned to go to state.

Freshman Godfrey Conn has been doing track for three years now as well, as he started in the seventh grade. Conn’s main goal is to get faster and get better endurance, “I’m a running back for football,” he said,” so I want to get faster for that.” His goals are different from last season. He was just running because his dad wanted him to run and now he has real goals for the sport and the future.

Junior Henry Samoylilich did track one year in middle school and then throughout high school Samoylich’s main goal is to run faster. “I don’t think [my goals] are different,” Samoylilich said, “because the goal is to just improve on yourself and your form.”

Taylour Veith