Welcome the Challenges of High School

First day of high school for freshman
Kayla Stefan
Senior Chance Fullmer photographing Freshman Katelynn Reimer

“You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way! – Dr. Seuss

As freshmen entered the auditorium they were greeted by staff and the leadership team, along with the band program providing some pep tunes as students entered the building. 

Orsborn discussed safety protocol and certain expectations that all students need to meet during the informational meeting yesterday morning.

“The first day of school was the best! I loved the people getting excited for us to join their school and how everyone was willing to put stuff in for us!” said Freshman Emery Wylie

As a freshman, the ability to be part of leadership or in a leadership role is uncommon but isn’t impossible. During the class info meeting, Orsborn discussed ways freshmen can get involved in leadership roles.

A good way to help move towards that path in your time in high school is to run for the class elections that take place on October 6, 2023.

Taking on that role can push you toward the opportunity of being part of leadership in the second semester of freshman year.

“I am most excited to make new friends in my classes and try new things!” said Wylie

Some events that Orsborn discussed are the school dances, and with homecoming, right around the corner students can start exploring what it’s like to be in high school.

To get into all events like sporting games, and dances, each student can enter for free as long as they have their student ID card.

“I’m not really worried about anything, just still getting used to the busy schedule,” said Wylie

However, the schedule changed from previous years. This year dog teams aren’t every Wednesday. For semester one dog teams take place every other week on average. The first class is on September 13, 2023. So be aware of which schedule is being used and the classes needed to attend. 

Bringing back old traditions as new, in previous years freshman would have their photo taken in their cap and gown to look back on once graduated.

The tradition came to a screeching halt when COVID interrupted school. But this year, the class of 2027 got to bring the tradition back.

On another note, elementary school, middle school, and high school start roughly around the same time. So in the early mornings be cautious and aware of all surroundings. With new drivers on the road and students who walk, getting to school can be dangerous. 

Branch off and have fun, high school doesn’t last forever. Welcome the challenges of high school that are presented to you.

“Oh the places you’ll go” – Dr. Seuss