The Student News Site of West Albany High School

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

Where’s The Hype?

Why under appreciated sports deserve more attention.
Taylour Veith

Most people have been to a football or a basketball game, which are very entertaining, but what makes them stand out? Why is the hype so big for them to the point where other sports don’t get pointed out? Throughout the school year there are many sports that get less attention and promotion. Why, though? It is truly just showing the “favorites” in sports. While this can give the less watched sports a relief of not having as much pressure, it can also give the athletes less motivation with no adrenaline due to the absence of cheering and yelling.

One example is softball, which is a spring sport and does not get nearly enough support. Last year, for example, it got one announcement over the West Albany intercoms about the sport. So many other sports get little to no announcements too, as if they don’t exist. 

Not all sports appeal to everyone’s attention or interest, but that doesn’t mean they deserve any less awareness. If schools want to expand their sports teams, they need to make more announcements for all the sports, so people know about them. The act of bringing attention to the sport itself can increase knowledge and bring spectators to the games, delivering more hype and support to the players.

Due to a small team of golfers, the awareness of the team’s small size led to more girls joining the golf team. Wrestling also is trying to increase the girls team, which only restarted a few years ago. Overall, it is not necessarily the sports themselves that are underrated but the hype, support, and awareness around it.