Boys’ Water Polo: West Albany vs Cottage Grove Defeats 19-2.

West takes on Cottage Grove in the last home game of the season. Sophomore Jakob Ylen’s defense leads the team to successfully winning another game.
Szammy Kitchen
Sophomore Jakob Ylen blocking a ball from going into the net.

The boys’ water polo team has made its statement this year by being undefeated in their league and beating every team they’ve had a match with this season. They have made many improvements as a team and in the water by doing team bonding, getting into better shape, and improving their passing and shooting. On Oct. 24, West jumps into the water to face off Cottage Grove for their last home game of the season. 

Throughout the game, senior Tyson Ames, sophomore Erik Romey, sophomore Jakob Ylen, junior Jenztzen Mears, and senior Andrew Madsen show their teamwork, through strong defense and offense. Coming to halftime, West maintains a watertight defense and is absorbed on offense, keeping the score 11-1.

As the third quarter started, head coach Bailey Dickerson was heard telling the team to ‘back down on scoring’ as it would seem “unsportsmanlike” to others. Ames as goalie had to play Aquaman, protecting the water while keeping the many attempts of balls thrown entering the net. 

In the last quarter, Ylen also blocked several of the balls getting thrown toward him, managing to keep the intensity high. Winning the game 19-2, West keeps the undefeated title and is going to state to withhold their name.