Deep Dive

Q&A with Nathan Sands, Connor Dickerson, Jace Huskey, Erik Romey, and Szammy Kitchen on why Water Polo is less noticed.

Q&A:

WW: Why do you like water polo?

Nathan Sands: I think it’s really fun. I like team bonding the most. We like bowling a lot, and we just go get food a lot and I just like the team.

Connor Dickerson: I like everything about it. It’s just a fun sport in my opinion, in every single way. 

Jace Huskey: It’s fun. I started playing my freshman year and just fell in love I guess. 

Erik Romey: I like water polo because it’s a sport that I love to do. I’m involved with swimming, which is something that I really enjoy doing. And I like that I also like the people that I work with. [They] are very good people and we’re very inclusive and supportive.  

Szammy Kitchen: I like water polo because the team environment is really good and I love the aggressiveness. And I love the feeling of working together for a common goal and achieving that goal. 

WW: What do people say about you doing water polo? 

Sands: They kinda just ask me what it is a lot. That’s basically it.

Dickerson: Typically, when people first see, either me or anyone play the sport they say it’s very difficult looking and that it looks like we’re being drowned in the water. 

Huskey: I don’t know, I don’t talk to people other than who I play with.

Romey: they react by saying oh, you play water polo, cool.

Kitchen: First, they ask what it is. And then they’re like, oh, isn’t that really hard because swimming and just like it’s a lot of fighting with people in the water. So, they are usually shocked. 

WW: What is it like being on the team?

Sands: It’s really fun because we’re a pretty good team, not to brag, and the atmosphere is really good. We are all really supportive of each other. 

Dickerson: It’s great, it’s very connected. We’re all part of one team and we’re all cohesive.

Huskey: It’s fun. We get along really well [which] makes a great environment, and just a great experience.

Romey: It’s very fun hanging out with all my teammates and I like hanging out with them while we are at the pool or outside the pool, whether that’s at school or team bonding.

Kitchen: I love being on the team. It’s so much fun. It’s such a positive environment and everyone is super helpful. If you need something, then they’re going to help you do it. If you don’t know how to do something, they’re gonna be there for you. I love it, [and] I look forward to practicing.

WW: Why don’t people consider it a sport? 

Sands: I think it’s because people don’t really know it is [one]. Like nobody really knows about it. 

Dickerson: I don’t think that most people don’t consider it a sport. I think they just don’t see it as a big enough sport to care about. 

Huskey: I guess it’s not an OSAA sport. That has something to do with it and they just don’t know what it is.

Romey: Because it’s not too well known. Sure, it’s been going around the school as a sport that people have heard of, but it’s not one that people know. 

Kitchen: I think because it’s not as popularized as football and basketball. And I know, one it’s not OSAA, so there’s that, but it’s just not as popular so people don’t really talk about it.