The Student News Site of West Albany High School

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

WHIRLWIND

West Albany Boys’ Waterpolo wins against Hillsboro Sept. 19

After a big win, team members reflect on what went well and the team dynamic going into the season.

On Sept.19, the West Albany Boys Water Polo team played a game against Hillsboro, which they won 22-9. 

Having played Hillsboro in the past, the team knew a little bit about what to expect going into the game and had adapted their strategy to counteract some of the opposing team’s strengths. 

“We had to play a different game than we usually do,” Team captain Tyson Ames said. “We knew that Hillsboro was a fast team, so we had to work on getting back fast and countering fast.” 

Ames expressed that their win could have been aided by the strong bonds that the team has already formed only a few games into the season. 

“Because we’re all friends, we work together so well,” Ames said. “We’re able to make players that other teams maybe can’t.” 

Sophomore Jake Ly is new to the team this year and had high expectations when playing Hillsboro. 

“This was one of the first few games where I was actually able to be fully engaged with the team,” Ly said. “I think I had high expectations for the game because our team is really united.” 

There was a specific highlight Ames recalled when sophomore Eric Romey had the ball right in front of the goal but chose to pass it to his teammate, Jace Huskey, who would go on to make the shot. 

“I always like those plays more than the solo plays,” Ames said. “It just shows the teamwork.”