West Albany Winter Talent Show with Eric Ihde and Justin Crow

Learning about the talent show with the two main hosts and what they have seen from the past.
Neona Prado
Crow and Idhe hosting Winter Talent Show Dec. 2022

West Albany High School has been hosting the Winter Talent show for over 38 years, before previous principle Susie Orsborn’s time. Through a world pandemic and other hardships, the show continues and has improved even more. “A single mic…a very low tech production,” Ihde said. Now, as Stuart Welsh received more equipment and started a event tech crew, it turned into a “high level production” which drew more talent in. 

During the past 18 years, the number of auditions have been plummeting with fewer and fewer students and staff showing their unique talents. Most acts are heavily singing and dancing. “[I wish] we had more variety,” Crow said. Another thing that both hosts wanted to bring back was staff talents. In the past, staff performed for students, surprising the crowd with something unique. It is an all-school show, which means anyone can audition. Some acts that left an impression were a student playing the djorido, a drum battle, previous members of the staff singing opera, and playing the cello. 

The iconic host puns and jokes have been confirmed to previously be made on the fly, but are now scripted into the show. The two hosts still come up with jokes to weave in throughout the program off the top of their heads. The new announcement that the Winter Talent show will be shown twice in the APAC to upperclassmen, and then lowerclassmen, creates some anticipation in seeing how the performers will do.